If you’ve been following my Facebook or Instagram, you’re probably aware that I’ve become more serious about a low-carb lifestyle. I suppose you could call it “lazy keto” since I’m only counting carbs and not worried about the macros (yet).
I’m not doing this because I want to lose weight. Nothing else was lowering my blood sugar. Being a diabetic, I was constantly in the 200s with medication, so something had to change.
I’ve learned that I do need to plan and prep if I’m going to stick to this lifestyle. It means looking at the menus ahead of time if I’m going to a restaurant.
It also means cooking. A lot of cooking. Luckily, I have my boyfriend to help shoulder the burden. But even so, I don’t like cooking overly complicated things. So, these recipes are fairly simple. It’ll require a trip to the grocery store, maybe a few. These are recipes that have honestly helped me keep my sanity as I make this transition.
- This was created by my boyfriend. So he gets the credit. These are delicious, and really simple.
- You’ll need some mozzarella, pepperoni (or your favorite low carb topping), and some tomato sauce. Store bought pizza sauce has a LOT of sugar. However, if you buy the plain generic tomato sauce, it’s only got 3 carbs per serving.
- You’ll make little piles of mozzarella of about 1 ounce on parchment paper. Bake at 400 F for about 10 minutes.
- At this point, the mozzarella piles have melted down. Take it out of the oven, you can put about a teaspoon of sauce on it and your pepperoni. Put it back in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- I like to roll mine, but they can also be folded in half like tacos.
- It should round out to about 1-3 net carbs depending on your ingredients.
“No Bake” Peanut Butter Balls
- This recipe is great. Having these little balls on hand is great if I need a quick snack.
- Link to Recipe: https://thebigmansworld.com/no-bake-keto-chocolate-peanut-butter-balls-paleo-vegan-low-carb/
Creamy Taco Soup with Ground Beef
- This soup is easy to put together as well as being filling and delicious! It’s great for Taco Tuesday when you’re craving Mexican food.
- Link to Recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/264017/creamy-keto-taco-soup-with-ground-beef/
Creamy Chicken Marsala
- This one is DELICIOUS. I’m not a fan of eating vegetables, but I can tolerate mushrooms. This recipe had me wanting more mushrooms. It’s great over a bed of zoodles or spaghetti squash.
- Link to Recipe: https://ketocookingchristian.com/creamy-chicken-marsala-keto-and-low-carb/
- Ranch seasoning, cream cheese, chicken, and bacon.
- This turned out much better than expected. It actually makes a pretty good topping for a keto-friendly chip like Whisps.
- If you want to save carbs, I would look up a keto-friendly recipe for the ranch mix.
- Link to Recipe: https://www.messforless.net/keto-crack-chicken-in-the-crock-pot/
Low-Carb Tomato Soup
- Heads up, this recipe isn’t really keto-friendly. But, if you have a craving for tomato soup, this will kick it while keeping your carb-count relatively low.
- You’ll need a 6 oz. can of tomato paste, 1/4 cup heavy cream, beef broth, oregano, and your favorite shredded cheese.
- The original recipe I found had one cup of heavy cream. I found this mixture to be way too heavy, so I diluted it with beef broth.
- Play with the ratios and see what tastes the best for you.
- Okay, this isn’t a recipe. It’s a delicious cheese snack that has gotten me through my snacking needs at work.